Thursday 25 December 2008

A blogger who cared

Last week I blogged about two lovely ladies called Doris and May who at the ages of 93 and 90 had to move from one home to another and the turmoil that it has caused them both. One blogger read the post and asked if she could send them presents for Christmas. I gave her my address and yesterday morning I collected her parcel from the Post Office and today I had the great pleasure of delivering her gifts in person to Doris and May.

May and Doris with their gifts

I explained to Doris and May (as best I could) that a blogger friend, who I have never met in the flesh but have only corresponded via our blogs, had sent gifts as well as Christmas cards from her children to them both - Doris burst into tears. Through her tears she responded 'I can't believe that this dear lady, who doesn't even know us, and gone the extra mile this Christmas time and thought of us'

Doris examining her gift

One of the gifts was a hand knitted lion from a rural community group in Kenya. The lion came with a card, which I read out to them both - it told of the group and how the ladies knitted these lions to raise money for themselves and their family. The card attached to each lion also gave the name of the lady who had knitted it. Doris' lion was knitted by a lady called Esther - her response was 'A lady I don't know in Kenya has knitted this lion to help her family and another lady that I don't know has made it possible to reach me today - I shall pray for them both'.

So thank you my blogging friend for bringing some Christmas cheer to Doris and May.

7 comments:

Glennis said...

The internet is amazing, for it to all come together in this wonderful way is truly amazing. A kind thoughtful lady has helped so many by her gesture, and you were the go between that brought it all together!

My name is Riet said...

That is such a lovely story. And you are a wonderful person to do all this.

Rhondi said...

Hi Judith
What a delightful story and a precious picture of those two ladies. What a kind generous thing for someone to do, and you got the fun of delivering the gifts!
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas day.
Happy boxing day,
Hugs, Rhondi

IanH said...

Judith - on behalf of those blogs you have commented on, thank you for taking the time to wish some Sally bloggers Christmas wishes. I trust you had and yours had a good day too.

simply divina said...

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your hubby. I enjoyed reading your story, it ws amazing! God bless.

A Scattering said...

What lovely idea your blogger friend had!

We had a wonderful Christmas Day with family and then popped across the border for an overnight trip and Boxing Day shopping in Buffalo, New York.

By the way, I really like the William Penn quote - truer words never spoken.

Anonymous said...

This is truly the spirit of Christmas. Thank you for sharing this. I'm amazed at how blogging has enriched my life.
Charlotte