Friday 27 March 2009

Horse and Carriage

I was out in Ilford yesterday buying 'farewell' presents and balloons ready for Dianne's farewell from the Thames View Advice Centre (of which I am a Trustee) and on my way back to the bus stop I had to pass the Funeral Directors and came across this wonderful sight!!


There were two lovely ladies responsible for grooming these horses and also riding behind them infront of the carriage. I asked their permission to take these photos on my mobile phone and they were only too delighted to oblige and then I had a very interesting chat with them regarding their responsibilites etc. (just to say that the carriage was empty - no coffin in it yet!!)

Horse and carriage funerals are very traditional with the really 'old east-enders of London Town' but are now becoming more popular but also very expensive.

4 comments:

Swerdnic said...

Wow, what a way to be celebrated after your death. beautiful.
love the new layout and piccie btw.
Lx

Cherdecor said...

I did not realize that this went on any where. I think it is wonderful to honor the dead in this way. I don't understand why it would be so expensive though.

Deb said...

the horses are beautiful, what a great tradition that is still alive

SmilingSally said...

It's a shame that it's becoming more expensive. It is a good way to slow down the procession, so that people can reflect on life and death.