Tuesday 3 March 2009

That's my world - Tuesday

Nigel & I like to take a week or so every year just to travel to different parts of the UK that we have not previously visited before. I have always wanted to see the Angel of the North and so that's just what we did last year.


The 208-tonne “Angel” basically takes the form of a human figure based on artist Antony Gormley's own body. At 20 metres high, the Angel is higher than a five-storey building. Its wings are 54 metres wide - almost the same as a jumbo jet. Overlooking the A1 at Gateshead, at least 90,000 motorists a day will pass by the sculpture. Rail passengers travelling on the East Coast mainline from London to Edinburgh will also see the angel as they approach Newcastle. information taken from website - click here for further information



sitting on the foot of the Angel of the North

for more world picture click here.

15 comments:

Buskitten said...

Wow! It's quite beautiful, isn't it? I've never seen the angel, and really must go there, as it's not that far away from us. Have a great day Judith x

J said...

Nice to see some photos of the UK! I particularly liked the last one - perhaps one day I will eventually venture that far north.

Janet said...

What an interesting blog! I will certainly read up a little more about this Angel of the North! Glad you got to see it in real love.
Much love Janet

Arija said...

Much better an angel than a hero of some forgotten war. It really is impressive, glad you went so we could see it too.

Deanna said...

Hi Judith!
what an amazing thing to behold. I never knew there was such a thing. How wonderful that you and your sweetie travel to different places in England. Amazingly enough, I still haven't been to several parts of Texas and I'm just anxious to visit East Texas.

You look great sitting at the base of the Angel of the North.

Give Karmen some sweet huggins for me!

Deanna :D

SmilingSally said...

That's an enormous structure! I imagine that it was a fun trip for you.

Louise said...

That is a massive sculpture. I like that it can be see by so many daily.

imac said...

Great shots and glad you enjoyed your time there.

Mojo said...

That's one serious angel! D'you suppose the artist is compensating?

Nice study of the work though!

Gattina said...

I don't know, this angel looks a bit like an airplane, lol !

Anonymous said...

That is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us. I always like to learn about new places I haven't seen.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I used to pass this nearly everyday for a year when I lived that way Whickham. It really has to be seen in the flesh.

Unknown said...

I know it was contraversial when put up, but I have always found it stunning as it comes into view, nice post.

Catherine said...

I love this artwork and all Gormley's work...thanks for the pix....

??? said...

I hadn't heard of ir before, it's amazing. Thanks for sharing.